FXCM Market Talk – Your Trading & Finance Podcast (Ep. 64)
064 – Big week for central banks and earnings season
· US - PCE: Core 4.4% y/y; moving in the right direction and lowest print in a year. 0.3% m/m.
· GDP came in looking good on the surface but may have hidden weakness (consumer).
· Australia CPI: inflation came in higher than expected. Likely adds another 1-2 hikes to the cycle.
· BoC: Hiked by 25bps - peak rate. Looking to monitor transmission mechanism.
· Fed: 25 bps (priced in). Will the Fed send a strong message? Fed funds futures still pricing a pivot.
· Can they deliver on 3 more hikes of 25bps? Seems like a tall order.
· ECB on Thursday. Market does not expect dovishness. Likely going 50bps.
· Still waiting for communication on terminal rate.
· December statement and commentary are pointing to another 50bps after this one.
· BoE: Forecasts give another 50bps, but not convinced here. Going to come down to the vote split.
· NFP: Forecast: 175-195k (previous 223K). 3.5%-->3.6% unemployment rate.
· ISM Services - last print was a big surprise to the downside (49.6). Will it be able to reclaim 50?
· Earnings: Meta, Apple, Alphabet, AMZN, TSLA reported last week (beat expectations).
Senior Market Specialist
Russell Shor joined FXCM in October 2017 as a Senior Market Specialist. He is a certified FMVA® and has an Honours Degree in Economics from the University of South Africa. Russell is a full member of the Society of Technical Analysts in the United Kingdom. With over 20 years of financial markets experience, his analysis is of a high standard and quality.
Senior Market Specialist
Nikos Tzabouras is a graduate of the Department of International & European Economic Studies at the Athens University of Economics and Business. He has a long time presence at FXCM, as he joined the company in 2011. He has served from multiple positions, but specializes in financial market analysis and commentary.
With his educational background in international relations, he emphasizes not only on Technical Analysis but also in Fundamental Analysis and Geopolitics – which have been having increasing impact on financial markets. He has longtime experience in market analysis and as a host of educational trading courses via online and in-person sessions and conferences.
Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices, other information, or links to third-party sites contained on this website are provided on an "as-is" basis, as general market commentary and do not constitute investment advice. The market commentary has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and it is therefore not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of dissemination. Although this commentary is not produced by an independent source, FXCM takes all sufficient steps to eliminate or prevent any conflicts of interests arising out of the production and dissemination of this communication. The employees of FXCM commit to acting in the clients' best interests and represent their views without misleading, deceiving, or otherwise impairing the clients' ability to make informed investment decisions. For more information about the FXCM's internal organizational and administrative arrangements for the prevention of conflicts, please refer to the Firms' Managing Conflicts Policy. Please ensure that you read and understand our Full Disclaimer and Liability provision concerning the foregoing Information, which can be accessed here.