Stock Split Treatment
- All positions will be closed at the end of day rate.
- Any floating profit or loss will be realized.
- Positions are then automatically reopened at an adjusted open rate and position size, to retain the same notional value as the closed position.
- For example if a client has 10 contracts opened and the end of day rate is 300.00 and the underlying share has a 10:1 split
- The old position will be closed at 300.00
- A new position will be opened for 100 contracts at an opening rate of 30.00
- Pending orders including stop/limits are deleted and required to be re-entered manually by clients.
- If the split ratio is not a whole number, then only the closest whole number of contracts will be reopened. Where rounding is required, we will always round down.
- Margins will be updated accordingly using the same split ratio.
More about Stock Splits
What happens to the charts?
- At the time of the split, the historical charts will not be updated. This allows clients the ability to self-audit any historical trades.
- However within a few weeks following the split, we will divide all historical charting by the ratio of the split, in order to allow indicators to perform relevant analysis on the historical price movements.
What happens to positions on Indices and Stock Baskets?
- Baskets and Indices with components that have a stock split, do not have their rate impacted directly by the split.
- There is an internal rebalance to the equation that govern the pricing of these products, and the weighting of the relevant stock within the index is multiplied by x to account for the 1/X drop in price and therefore there is no impact on the overall basket price.
What Companies offered by FXCM have splits upcoming?
- Please note the below information is indicative and subject to changes/additions with no notice.
- There are no upcoming stock splits known at this time.
- NVIDIA (NVDA.us) had a 4:1 stock split effective Tuesday July 20th, 2021.
All clients who held open positions at the end of trading on Monday 19th July 2021, were impacted by the split.