Last Updated: 6 November 2022
Where we reference "electronic communication", this communication method means any transfer of text, voice or image message which can be stored in the network or in the recipient's terminal equipment until it is collected by the recipient. It includes methods such as e-mail and instant messaging.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us.
What personal information does FXCM collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE VOLUNTARILY
You are required to give us your identity, contact and financial data etc. by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, electronic communication or otherwise. This includes personal information you provide when you:
- Apply for our products or services
- Create an account on our website
- Subscribe to our or related third party service or publications
- Request marketing to be sent to you
- Enter a competition, promotion or survey
- Give us some feedback
In addition to the above, certain parts of our website may ask you to provide personal information voluntarily (for example, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us). The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY
When you visit our website, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (for example, country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our website and electronic communication, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our website, where they come from, and what content on our website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our website to our visitors.
INFORMATION THAT WE OBTAIN FROM THIRD PARTY OR PUBLICLY AVAILABLE SOURCES
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources, but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
We use the information we receive from these third parties to enhance the services we provide to you, such as providing curated content that is relevant to services we provide you or topics you are interested in.
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Provisions for handling personal information
Our lawful basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect vital interests.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us.
Purpose for which we will use your personal information
How does FXCM keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
In particular, we:
- Hold personal information in secure facilities and where the information is held electronically, on secure servers.
- Use encrypted transmission links whenever we can.
- Use other safeguards such as firewalls, authentication systems (e.g., passwords), and access control mechanisms to control unauthorised access to systems and data.
- Regularly review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems.
- Restrict access to personal information to our employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. FXCM may discipline or terminate individuals who maliciously acquire information, without being entitled to its access.
Some of the cookies that FXCM sets when you visit any of our websites are essential to the working functionality of the site. Without these cookies, you would not be able to chat online, fill out a trading application, or deposit funds. Performance cookies are another type of cookies FXCM uses to provide with you a better user experience and to improve how content on our website is presented. Marketing cookies are also set usually by third party advertising networks to ensure we are providing you with targeted adverts more relevant to you and your interests. If you do not want to receive non-mandatory cookies, you can manage your preferences here.
International data transfers
Your data protection rights
Subject to certain conditions, individuals are provided with data protection rights, including:
- Right to obtain a copy of your personal information. You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you.
- Right to rectification. You may request that we rectify any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information. We will then correct out records, and notify any third parties to whom such personal information may have been transmitted as described above.
- Right to data portability. You may request a copy of all personal information you have provided to us after which we will transmit those data to another third party of your choice.
- Right to opt-out of marketing communications. You can exercise this right by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "opt-out" link in the marketing e-mails we send you, or for SMS communications reply with "STOP".
- Right to withdraw consent. You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, you may not be able to benefit from certain service features for which the processing of your personal information is essential.
- Right to object to processing. You may request that we stop processing your personal information. Please note you may not be able to benefit from certain service features for which the processing of your personal information is essential.
- Right to erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information and we will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that you may be required to prove your identity for us to service you.
We may update this Policy from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Policy, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make.
You can see when this Policy was last updated by checking the "last updated" date displayed at the top of this Policy.
How to contact us