Indices & Commodities
Trade Gold, Silver, Platinum, Paladium, and Copper through the Trading Station and MetaTrader 4 platforms. Up-to-date margin requirements are displayed in the "Simplified Dealing Rates" window of the Trading Platform by instrument.
Why trade gold and silver through FXCM?
- No Re-quotes1 on all metal products, giving you fast, efficient trade execution without expensive re-quotes.
- Lower Transaction Costs. Trade Commission Free2, no exchange fees, & no clearing fees. The transaction cost is the spread, the difference between the buy and sell price.
- Greater Ease of Trading. Gold and Silver are traded alongside currencies on FXCM Trading Station, providing you with convenient, intuitive, one-click trading.
- Generous Leverage.3 Trading in the futures market requires large contracts - $4000 margin to maintain a 100-ounce position is common. In the futures market leverage is usually limited to 25 to 1.
- Hedging Capability. You can go long or short spot gold in the same account and hedge your positions.
- Advanced Charting. Trade gold from FXCM's advanced charting package.
|Instrument Name||Minimum Trade Size||Margin Requirement
per min trade size
|Typical FXCM Spread||Minimum Stop Distance (Points)|
Gold (XAU/USD) and Silver (XAG/USD) Trading Hours
Gold and Silver trading will commence on Sunday at 22.00 GMT. Furthermore, there will be a daily break in gold and silver trading at 21.00 GMT and trading in Gold and Silver will resume at 22.00 GMT. During the break, you will not be able to place market orders, and limit/stops cannot be placed and/or amended. Full details of Gold and Silver trading can be found in the CFD Product Guide.
Gold/Silver Rollover Explained
Spot Gold/Silver Rollover will be performed in the same manner as our forex instruments.
Copper is the only metal which has an expiration. All other metal trades will remain open until such time the client closes the position or there is insufficient margin to support the open position. For Copper, the open position will be closed by FXCM.
|Contract Month||Reference Expiration||FXCM Expiration|
1 No Re-Quote Policy: FXCM maintains a no re-quote policy. Circumstances exist based on order size, trading pattern, and market conditions where individuals may not receive execution at the requested rate. Orders are executed at the next available rate within the trader's parameters, subject to market conditions. The difference between the requested rate and final execution price may be more or less advantageous based on the market activity and available liquidity.
2 Compensation: When executing customers trades, FXCM can be compensated in several ways, which include, but are not limited to: charging fixed lot-based commissions at the open and close of a trade, adding a markup to the spreads it receives from its liquidity providers for certain account types, and adding a markup to rollover. Under the Dealing Desk execution model, FXCM may act as a dealer and may receive additional compensation from trading.
3 Leverage: Leverage is a double-edged sword and can dramatically amplify your profits. It can also just as dramatically amplify your losses. Trading foreign exchange with any level of leverage may not be suitable for all investors.